J. G. Hempler: 1861-1864
Pastor Hempler was the founding pastor who served in the log cabin church until ill health forced him to resign in September of 1864
Berthold Reinsch: 1864-1866
Pastor Reinsch served St. John Lutheran during a time when the church's congregation began to grow due to the influx of people coming from Indiana.
George Fikensher: 1866-1871
Pastor Fikensher also served during a time of congregational growth and the old log church became too small. He became ill and had to resign.
J. G. Hempler: 1871-1890
Pastor Hempler returned to serve St. John after being called by the congregation. In 1886, Pastor Hempler admonished the congregation of their duty to provide sufficient space for worship, so it was resolved to build a new church. A new brick church was built with the cornerstone being laid on October 17, 1886.
J. Bucha: 1890-1893
During Pastor Bucha's ministry, the first parsonage was built.
E. Mensing: 1894-1901
During Pastor Mensing's ministry, the old log church was torn down in 1895. The Sunday School building was erected in 1895.
P. J. Lamburtus: 1901-1902
During Pastor Lamburtus' ministry, a new Hinner's pipe organ was installed.
H. Klemm: 1902-1904
Pastor Klemm purchased 19 acres west of the church, and when he left in 1904, he sold this property to the church.
Jacob Burkhart: 1904-1906
F. Giering: 1906-1908
Herman Wittke: 1908-1928
During Pastor Wittke's ministry, the ground for the south cemetery was donated, and the sidewalk was built by the Luther League in 1920.
Ed Sorgenfrie: 1928-1930
Under Pastor Sorgenfrie's ministry, the Sunday School lessons and worship service was changed over from German to English. A basement was also installed under the church.
H. Kovar: 1931-1933
Henry Rolloff: 1934-1944
Under Pastor Rolloff's ministry, the church was wired with electricity, and the school house was remodeled.
Frederick (Fritz) Alvin (F.A.) Wittig: 1944-1953
Pastor Witig was instrumental in the establishment of two church organizations: The Women of the Church and the Brotherhood.
Marvin Krueger (Interim): 1953-1954
Pastor Krueger was an interim minister from St. Stephen's Lutheran Church in Metropolis.
Hartwig Harms: 1954-1957
Pastor Harms was instrumental in the planting of the pine trees around the church property. Pastor Harms resigned in December, 1957 after 40 years in the ministry.
George Schleuter (Interim): 1958-1958
Pastor Schleuter was another interim minister from St. Stephen's Lutheran Church of Metropolis.
John Paul Dexter: 1958-1962
Under Pastor Dexter, the congregation entered upon a new church building program, and ground breaking took place on July 3, 1960. The dedication of the new church building took place on April 16, 1961.
Ronald Kruger: 1962-1966
Harold Tegtmeier: 1966-1969
Pastor Tegtmeier established the first monthly SJLC newsletter.
Ervin Hesterberg: 1970-1971
During Pastor Hesterberg's ministry, the old Sunday School building was turned over to the youth for a Youth Center, and it was remodeled.
Willis Yarian: 1971-1979
Under Pastor Yarian's ministry, a Southeast Asian family (Tran's) was sponsored by the congregation. They made the Youth Center their home.
Lewis Milejczak: 1979-1986
Under Pastor Milejczak's ministry, new "Lutheran Book of Worship" hymnals were purchased. Also the wooden murals were commissioned and installed.
Raymond W. Heilener: 1986-1989
Daniel Knock: 1990-1995
Under Pastor Knock's ministry, the Altar Guild was established. A new addition was also added to the church building and was dedicated on April 30, 1995.
Richard Keplinger (Interim): 1995-1995
Pastor Keplinger was another interim minister from St. Stephen's Lutheran Church of Metropolis.
Lisa Goodwin: 1996-2001
Under Pastor Goodwin's ministry, new "With One Voice" hymnals were purchased to be used with the green "Lutheran Book of Worship" hymnals.
Richard Speer (Interim): 2001-2002
William H. Veith Jr. (Interim): 2002-2003
John Rogers (Interim): 2003-2006
Pastor Roger's was very instrumental in preserving the church's historical documents. Pastor Rogers shared his carpentry skills with others in the construction of various pieces located throughout the church including the Communion Table. A new sound system was constructed during his ministry as well as our church's first website.
Cindy Krause: 2006-2010
Under Pastor Krause's ministry, new cranberry hymnals were purchased. Also, new Modernfold partitions were installed in the church basement.
Richard Hertenstein (Interim): 2010-2012
Under Pastor Hertenstein's ministry, new landscaping was completed around the church basement. At the end of his ministry, St. John's Lutheran Church voted to leave the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) and join the NALC (North American Lutheran Church).
Donald Lindner: 2012-2016
Under Pastor Lindner's ministry, the church moved back from the cranberry hymnals to using the green "Lutheran Book of Worship" and blue "With One Voice" hymnals. He was instrumental in the start of celebrating Holy Communion every Sunday. The church Facebook page was also started during his ministry. The church also started a contemporary worship service once a month.
John Rogers (Interim): 2016-2016
Pastor Rogers returned as an interim minister after Pastor Lindner's resignation.
Kent Hollis: 2016-Present
Under Pastor Hollis' ministry, the church website received a complete overhaul. The tennis court was resurfaced, and the church started moving forward with a stronger online presence. The men's group breakfast was started back up and new flooring in the old office and new addition was installed by the Altar Guild. The tennis court was resurfaced.